Thursday, February 10, 2011

Goal Number 11

I'm adding another goal to my previous list of 10 --

Number 11 - Exercise more!

Check.
Today I walked about 3 miles.  It's a start.  Actually better than the start I had back in 1982 when I first had the wild idea that I wanted to run.  Unathletic me who had two small children set out to run for exercise for the first time and to build up until I could participate in some road races.  It was a long, slow process.

The first race I went to I was going to participate in the fun run only  (1 mile).  Well, due to some mix up on the starting time, I got there just in time to run the 10K, which I did!  Mind you, the longest distance I had run at home so far was maybe 2 miles, and here I was trying to run 6.2 miles.  Yes, I did it!  I ran all the way!  In under 60 minutes too!  That was the first of many races for me.  A couple of weekends after that one, I ran a 5K (3.1 miles) and placed in my age group!  Wow, was I ever surprised and pleased! As I came to learn though, it all depended on how many people of your age and gender run that determines how you place; you stand a much better chance in the smaller races.  But I did earn quite a few medals over the years from racing.  I still have them on my bedroom wall (Is that too prideful?).  Maybe I need to remodel my bedroom. 


In 1986, I ran the Blue Angel Marathon (26.2 miles) in 4 hours, 8 minutes and 15 seconds.  Ran all the way!  When I first started training for it, I said "I'm going to do this even if I have to crawl part of it."  Then I began to think "Oh, I might have to walk a little bit, but I can do 26.2 miles if it takes me all day."  I "hit the wall" at about 18 miles and thought I was going to die!  But I kept putting one foot in front of the other and at the finish line I couldn't believe that I had actually run the entire race.  Whew, what a high! 

There's nothing like the runner's high.  What a glorious feeling!  Man, I want to do that again! 

So today I am starting the process to eventually be able to run races again.  Will my old body let me do that at retirement age?  We shall see.  I'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment